That we are in recession is no longer news. We all know how hard this economy is, you can’t actually not notice it, not with every sentence people make ending with ‘in this economy’. Economy is bad and yet the VIP section is Escape is always filled up (I was told). This piece is going to help you
save enough money to be able to go to Escape and chill stay afloat in this economy.
- There is rice at home: This really is the golden rule, if this mantra served you well in the university, why can’t it serve you now? Do you know how much you can save just by cutting down on the amount you spend on food when you go out? It is incredible. I’m not saying you shouldn’t eat at that really expensive restaurant, you worked for your money and you should be able to enjoy it, I’m just saying you don’t have to eat there every day in this economy.
- Be faithful to your partner: Do you know how much people spend on cheating? From the recharge card, to internet subscription, to cab fees, to random gifts? All that money which could have been saved if you were actually faithful to your partner. The worst part is when you cheat on your partner, you start to feel guilty and you decide to buy an expensive gift to ease your conscience, you do know that is money you could have saved or put to good use if you never cheated in the first place. Come on, you shouldn’t be cheating in this economy.
- Do you really need it: Before you purchase an item, you really need to take your time and ask yourself if you absolutely need it? I mean, you have that top in Navy blue and sky blue, do you really need it in Turquoise blue? You have the home and away jersey of your favourite sport club, do you really need the third kit? Or the training kit? Luxury isn’t something you should be indulging in this economy.
- Double your hustle: Yeah, I’m talking about that Orezi song, it is pure flames. This might actually be a very hard one, seeing as it is easier said than done. So, you have that 8-5 job, you wake up before 6AM and get home at 9PM, how on earth are you supposed to double your hustle? To be very honest, I don’t know, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible, find what works for you, it might be weekends, just find that extra source of income no matter how small it may seem, it might just go a long way in this economy.
Alaye double your hustle, no time for ingbatiingbati – SenseiOrezi
- Buy the naira to grow the naira: This is a very important point, because if the government can’t help us, the least we can do is help ourselves. You know that person who makes shoes on your TL or Instagram, why don’t you buy from them? What of the guy making agbada that is actually not a hooligan, why not patronise him? How about the person making cakes? Beads? Artwork? Buy from them. We really have to buy the naira to grow the naira in this economy.